Thursday, 11 July 2013

LoEB: Hake’s Shopping Spree (Redux)

Now, this is a League challenge to get the blogging muscles moving. After a few weeks off I'd planned to take up this week's assignment anyway, but what a great one to return to!

Starts at 99p!
Go on a fictional shopping spree at Hake’s current auction #209 to make your collection a little more amazing.

Oh, and I should mention...

One blog entry will be selected to receive $100 credit to spend at Hake’s!

Welcome back, Extraordinary Bloggers!

I'm going to set a limit of five items, just to make it challenging. Otherwise, y'know - I'd end up getting it all... I'd originally thought about setting a price limit as well, but that was too much. This is supposed to be fun!

OK, first up, the question says 'amazing' - to me that says 'Spider-Man'!


Lot 1
There's not actually a Spidey ring in there, but it's close enough, right?! Besides, it's really not like I'd actually open this if I were fortunate enough to win it. I know, I've proclaimed many times before that toys are meant to be played with, but damn man - this is genuine vintage! TVC need not apply...

Next up, it's a real blast from the past:


Lot 2
Ring Raiders was a brief fad from my childhood that I've never seen mentioned anywhere else, to the point I was questioning its existence. My friend Luke had the pilot (hah!) episode on video, and we collected these toys manically. As I recall there were good guys, who had a large sea-based air carrier, and they flew planes against bad guys. The (toy) planes sat on translucent struts that attached to rings, meaning they could be 'flown' on your hand in a kind of Top Gun/Micro Machines mash up. This provided hours of fun, at least until the next big thing came along; although I'm lacking the time frame to estimate what that would have been...

For more vintage goodness, what if adventure had a name?


Lot 3
That's right, it does! People go nuts over vintage Star Wars cards, but to me this is a far nicer product, and I've never even seen one first hand. I think the vintage Indy figures look great, so charming and fun looking. As a kid I used my POTF2 Han in Carbonite as a substitute, but it was never the same, and the recent Hasbro line? Well, there were highs and lows, let's put it that way.

Fancy seeing the back of the card? OK!

Lot 3
Nice.

I've documented my love of comics in an older League post, but my heart lies with newspaper strips. Specifically with Calvin and Hobbes, but it was Garfield that taught me to read and my affinity with the medium lives on. Subsequently, this is a must buy:

Original 1971 Peanuts Artwork
Lot 4
Schulz was a true great of cartooning, maybe even the greatest - his work redefined the comic strip landscape, and his humour was, believe it or not, considered quite cutting in the 50s. Without Peanuts we wouldn't have Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield, Mother Goose and Grimm or countless other great strips, or at least have them as we know them. What better way to celebrate such a great talent than to own some original work? Sad as it is to say, it's one thing there won't be any more of.

Last but not least, it's a peculiar item that highlights the kind of behind-the-scenes work I love seeing.

Batman: The Animated Series Promotional Style Guide

Lot 5
The unique animation of Batman: TAS won it a lot of fans, myself included, and was successful enough to warrant a comic book spin-off (kinda like a boomerang) and a Superman series in the same vein. Working on an animated show is my ultimate career aim, and although I'm more on the writing side of production I really enjoy seeing the work that goes into the development of a series like this. That it's Batman is a bonus, but even just seeing a little bit of how it's done makes me feel a step closer to doing it myself.

And how about a glimpse of madness?

Lot 5
The Sinister Six come close, but ultimately this is the best rogues gallery in pop-culture, bar none!


Those are my selections from the auction, but there's so much stuff in there I could easily have missed something. I surprised myself by not picking anything Star Wars related, but when there's items from across the spectrum of pop culture to chose from, why stick with what you know?

Here's what other Leaguers would like to take home...

Random Nerdness has some nice items, including a sketchbook by comic legend John Romita Sr. Do we call him Sr? Or is he just John Romita and JRJR is just Jr? Can we get a confirmation on that?

AEIOU and Sometimes Why hit up another five items and provided a public service to boot...

Shezcrafti makes a mean collage (and we'd get in a bidding war over the Dr. Jones figure).

Branded in the 80s wins my intangible favourite post of the week award, with heart, discipline and Chicken Walkers.

Finally, G.I. Jigsaw is new to the League and signs on with some vintage figure goodness and Wyatt Earp. Good stuff!

That's it from me for this assignment. As ever, thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Oh man, I didn't even see those Ring Raiders toys! Nice catch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a pleasant surprise to see!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Rich, you've got some great picks too!

      Delete
  3. That Indiana Jones figure would be the prize of any pop culture collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it would! Few characters occupy the cultural psyche like Indy, the films are like Star Wars in so many ways, but without the oversaturation. This figure would certainly take pride of place on the shelf.

      Delete

You may like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...